Glossary and Guide


Please send edits and content suggestions to or call the Advising Resource Center (ARC) at 626-7988.



A/B Deficit

The A/B deficit determines the number of units of B, or A, needed to raise the cumulative GPA to a specified level.  It is most often used in reference to students who are on academic probation and who need to elevate the cumulative GPA to the minimum 2.0.  The A/B deficit is calculated by using the student’s UA Units Taken toward GPA and UA Total Grade Points.

UA Units Taken towards GPA x 2.00 = _X__ 

_X__- UA Total Grade Points = B deficit

B deficit divided by 2 = A deficit


UA Quality Hours:   118

UA Quality Points:  218

118 x 2 = 236

236 – 218 = 18 unit B deficit

18 / 2 = 9 unit A deficit

The B deficit is automatically calculated for all probationary students in UAccess Student.  It can be found near the top of their Academic Agreement and on the Academics tab under GPA calculation.

Academic Advisement Report (AAR)

Academic Advisement Reports (major/degree requirements) display the requirements and approved courses for each undergraduate program and minor in the online UA General Catalog. The Advisement Reports in the Academic Catalogs are not filled out and may be used as a tool to prospective students.

Academic Agreements

Academic Agreements are essentially contracts that a college can use to set rules and expectations for students who are on probation or having other academic difficulties. You may hear them referred to as a Contract, a Probation Contract, or an Academic Contract. Not all colleges use Academic Agreements with their students. Make sure you discuss this process with your supervisor.

Academic Level/Class Standing

Degree-seeking undergraduates are classified with their class standing based on the number of credit hours, or units, that they have completed, and does not include units in progress. This information is very useful during priority registration periods

Academic Load

Academic or course load refers to the total number of units taken for credit, audit, correspondence, or through concurrent registration at another institution with a consortium agreement. There are limits on the amount of units students can take during the semester. It may be a good thing to discuss this with students who are taking heavier semesters to think about the amount of units they are enrolled in.

Academic Policies and Procedures

The official reference for all academic policies and procedures are found in the catalog.
Contact Expert:  Celeste Pardee, Curriculum Office:

Academic Organization

The academic organization is the entity or college that is controlling the subject, degree, major, minor or course in question.  Academic Organizations are used to control course/subject security. It is a UAccess field used for enrollment, RCS, and instructor security and course management so you see it in Analytics for course and enrollment reporting and in the access provisioning tool for security requests.

Academic Renewal

While academic renewal can take a considerable amount of time and effort it is a great option for students who have had a break in their academic attendance and are returning in a better position to be successful.  Academic Renewal allows students to have grades for a particular period of time excluded from the grade-point-average (GPA). If the qualifications are met, the student may have a maximum of four consecutive semesters starting with the most recent semesters and working backwards of course work disregarded in all calculations regarding academic standing, grade-point-average, and eligibility for graduation.
Catalog Policy
Registrar Process
Contact Expert: Jody Payne; Office of the Registrar;

Academic Year

Usually, consecutive Fall and Spring semesters, currently August to May; sometimes, however, Summer semester is included in the term "academic year" especially for scholarship renewal purposes. 

Advanced Placement (AP) Credit

AP credit is Credit By Examination and is credit that students can transfer into the university and use toward fulfilling Foundations, General Education, Major and Minor coursework.
Catalog Policy

Advanced Standing

Advanced standing is a status that allows the undergraduate student to enroll in upper division (300-400) courses. Advanced Standing is maintained with a Student Group in UAccess.

Advising Resource Center (ARC)

The ARC provides a variety of services in support of the UA academic advising community.  These services include coordinating professional development seminars, new advisor orientation, special events, travel grants, a campus-wide recognition program, and more.  The ARC is located in the Career Services office suite in SUMC 411.  Contact the ARC at 626-8667 or


The ADVIP is a report in Student Center that details a student’s progress toward degree completion (The ADVIP is also colloquially called advisement report).  Students may access this report through the Student Services Center, the report is called Academic Requirements and can be found in the drop down box. The report will reflect areas that the student has satisfied or has not satisfied. The report will provide students with available course listings that have been approved to take to complete their individual degree requirements. This is report that academic advisors will use as the official degree audit for graduation and degree completion.  The last 3 requests for advisement reports are kept, and if you want to view a historical copy, click on ‘View Report as PDF’ only, do not click ‘Process Request’ or ‘View Report’.

Advisor Dashboard

UAccess Analytics contains many dashboards. Each dashboard contains numerous reports that might be useful to specific UA populations. In Analytics under the Dashboards > Students menus is an “Advisors” dashboard. This dashboard contains reports on probation, enrollment, active majors and minors, and transfer and test credit, among other reports.

Advisor Notes
UAccess Advisor Notes allows advisors to record interactions with students that can be seen by all other advisors on campus. This tool is especially helpful as students change majors and move from advisor to advisor, and using the central note system is considered a best practice.  Once a note has been entered it cannot be edited, or deleted, by the advisor.  The Director of the Advising Resource Center (ARC) is able to delete notes submitted by the UAAC representative.  If a note is entered into the wrong student record, make note of the note id, student name, and date, and send that information to your UAAC representative.  The advisor is responsible for entering the note into the correct student record. Remember, because the note can be seen by others, it is important to be concise and professional in the content that you enter into the note.
Related topic: Student Satisfaction Survey
The Arizona public community colleges and the three state universities, including the UA, have agreed upon a common structure for a general education core curriculum. This common structure is called the Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC). AGEC is composed of a minimum of 35 semester units of lower-division general education course work. 
Contacts: Mary Ellen Clark, Articulation Specialist;; 626-5896 or
Nicole Kontak, Director, Transfer Student Programs,; 626-3212

The ALEKS is a Math placement exam used to determine the appropriate level of placement in UA Math.  Students complete the ALEKS at least 5 days prior to attending New Student Orientation.  For more information visit the ALEKS placement test website.

Application for Degree Candidacy

The degree check, or audit, process begins with the student completing an application for degree candidacy on their UAccess. Instructions to complete the online application.

Appointed Professional (AP)

All academic advisors, senior advisors, and advising coordinators are appointed professionals and are represented in shared governance by APAC.  For more information visit the APAC website.

Arizona Residents
Criteria for determining the domicile status of students are defined by the Arizona Board of Regents (ABOR) policies and the Arizona Revised Statutes (A.R.S.). Even though UA does not classify students enrolled for 6 or fewer units for residency status, an ABOR policy passed in 1995 allows these students to be "residents" when computing the percent of enrollment that is resident or non-resident.
Arizona Assurance (AZA)

This program provides academic, financial and social support to low-income Arizona residents. The program is financial aid based and there to assist students who meet requirements of the program. For more information visit the AZA website

Articulation Task Forces (ATFs)
An Articulation Task Force (or ATF) consists of at least one faculty representative who represents both the university and their discipline at annual and/or bi-annual meetings with Arizona state university and community college partners. ATFs gather to analyze and solve curricular problems. Additionally, there are faculty evaluators in each of the disciplines who review course requests that are submitted from Arizona community colleges.
Contact Experts: Mary Ellen Clark, Articulation Specialist;; 626-5896 or
Nicole Kontak, Director, Transfer Student Programs,; 626-3212
Arizona Transfer ( is a website which shows transfer equivalencies for all of the community colleges and four year public institutions in the state of Arizona.  A number of online tools display direct equivalencies, pathways, and more.
AZ Transfer Glossary
Auditing Courses
Audit is a registration status allowing students to attend a course without receiving credit.  The full Audit policy can be reviewed here.



Baccalaureate Degrees

Baccalaureate degrees are awarded for completion of an undergraduate program of study. The Colleges of Humanities, Science, and Social and Behavioral Sciences offer the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees. In general, all other baccalaureate degrees identify the college or field of study with which they are associated. Bachelor's degrees are comprised of general education courses, a major, elective courses, and in some cases a minor. The University of Arizona South also offers Bachelor of Applied Science programs in an effort to assist students who complete Associates of Applied Sciences degrees.


Course management system used in various classes students take in the Eller College of Management.



Career/Program/Plan Stack (CPP)

The Career/Program/Plan Stack is where advisors can declare students in programs, plans, and sub-plans. Training is required to access and update this page. If you have permission to view or update CPP data you may do so at Main Menu > Records and Enrollment > Career and Program Information > Student Program/Plan. Please see the Program/Plan Requirement Term Business Process Guide for more information on the CPP pages.

Academic Catalogs are the universities primary source of departmental, college information. Advisors can look to this document for assistance while you’re working with your students. Users can find useful information, such as: academic calendars, policies, course descriptions, general education, majors, minors, etc.
Contact Experts: Pam Coonan, Director, Curricular Affairs, 621-4107,
Celeste Pardee, 621-5375,

The UA student email system.  Students are required by university policy to use their official UA email account to conduct all university-related business. 


The CatCard is the student’s official identification card for the university of Arizona. For more information please visit the CatCard Website.

Census Enrollment

Enrollment figures for UA include all students registered for at least one credit-bearing course, including courses offered outside the main campus (i.e., Sierra Vista Campus, Extended University, and Arizona Health Sciences Center). The census enrollment reflects the number of students registered for one or more credits on the 21st day after classes begin. A student’s registration status on this day may also affect their financial aid standing for scholarships, loans and grants. 

Change of Schedule (aka Drop/Add)

The Change of Schedule Form is used for students to add/drop courses. For more information about this form and the various reasons students may need to use this form go to the Registar's website

Code of Conduct

Regulations put in place to control and supervise the state of universities and their properties and activities. For more information on student code of conduct please visit the Dean of Students website.

College Disqualification

Students can be disqualified from a specific college only after two consecutive regular semesters of not meeting the standards of normal progress (cumulative grade-point-average of 2.000). Also, a student may be disqualified upon recommendation of the dean of the college, an undergraduate may be placed on academic probation or may be disqualified at any time for neglect of academic work. 

College Petitions

College petitions may address a change of schedule after the deadline, approval for overload, substitution of course work, application of transfer credit, modification in degree program, eligibility for registration or enrollment in the college. The necessary forms, instructions and assistance may be obtained in the office of the college dean. Petitions are filed in the college dean's office. The decision of the dean is final.

Consortium Agreement
A consortium agreement allows students to attend two schools in the same semester and still receive financial assistance. Students must meet specific criteria to utilize the consortium.
Correspondence Course Work

In the past, correspondence coursework was  available through the Outreach College. Correspondence courses do not count toward university credit and there is a limit on the amount of correspondence coursework that can be used toward degree completion. Correspondence units do not count toward the GPA of a student and students should know the positive and negative elements of correspondence courses. The Outreach College programs are now dispersed through other campus programs.


A course is a systematic plan of study which may utilize lecture, discussion, laboratory, recitation, seminar, workshop, studio, independent study, internship, or other similar teaching formats to facilitate learning for the student.

Utilizing the definition that an hour of work is the equivalent of 50 minutes of class time (often called a contact hour) or 60 minutes of independent-study work, university policy requires at least 45 hours of work by each student for each unit of credit. The terms Credits, Hours and Units are often used interchangeably.
Catalog policy: Credit Definitions
Credit by Exam
Credit by exam is a way for students to get credits they can apply toward graduation and their overall credit requirements. The following tests are considered “Credit by Exam”: Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), Departmental Proficiency & Special Examinations.
Catalog policy: Credit by Exam
Cross Listed Courses (aka Multiple Offerings)

One course listed under two, or more, departments.  EX:   SBS 200 is the same course as COMM 200. This is found under “Identical To” in the  academic catalog. Please see the academic catalog for more information and terms.




Course management system used by many faculty, especially in general education.  The Office of Instruction and Assessment supports and manages D2L. Most online courses at the UA are conducted through D2L, with the exception of those in the Eller College of Management (see “Blackboard”). D2L is also used for faculty and staff assessments for security access.


A degree is a title which a university confers on a student who has satisfactorily completed their required course of study. Degree requirements are established by the University, colleges and departments, and are approved by the University faculty, administration, and the Arizona Board of Regents (please also refer to the description of “Baccalaureate Degrees” above).

Degree Audit (aka Degree Check)

Students must get their final degree audit approved by their colleges advisor. You may hear this process referred to as the ‘pink sheet’. This process may vary by college, so make sure that you follow your colleges policies in regards to graduation checks.

Degree Search

Degree Search gives students and advisors to identify a major that matches the students on many different levels. Students can filter majors by areas of Mathematics & Language demands, self-exploration categories and interests. Students will also be able to view details of the major/college, see a four-year plan, view transfer information & plan for their careers after graduation.


A discipline is a recognized subject area or field of study within which courses and research are structured.


Students who do not meet the required academic requirements of the college or university face the possibility of Disqualification. Students can be suspended from their college and must then look for another college to enter. Disqualification from the university however means that the student will not be allowed to continue their education without application for re-admission and approval from the dean of the college they hope to enroll in for future academics. Please see the academic catalog for more information.

Double Dipping

Double dipping policies are in place to limit the double use of courses. For example a student cannot use general education coursework to satisfy major requirements. Colleges also prohibit the use of courses in two different majors and minors. Please see the ARC website for more information on double dipping.

Double Major

A double major is possible for students with two principal fields of study in programs that offer the identical degree type. For example, a student can major in both Art Education and Fine Arts Studies because both lead to the Bachelor of Fine Arts.

Drop/Add Form

See Change of Schedule Form

Dual Degree (Second Bachelor’s Degree)

Candidates for a second bachelor's degree at The University of Arizona must earn no fewer than 30 unique units of University Credit (units in residence not used for the first degree)and  must be completed for the second degree.  If the degrees are completed concurrently, the 30 units are added to the degree with the higher unit requirement. 

For sequential degrees, students must complete at least 50 percent of all course work required in the major of the second degree after the conferral of the first degree.

Dual degrees are represented on one advisement report. This means that courses that can be used in both programs may need to be directed by exception to two places in order to make the advisement report ‘run clean’ for graduation.
Dynamically Dated

These courses are courses that are offered for UA students to take that may start or conclude on differing dates than regular semester coursework.  Consult the Dates and Deadlines for dynamically dated courses since drop dates, GRO Filing Deadlines, and so forth are different.




Electives are courses selected at a student's discretion. Electives may be partially restricted, such as a selection from a specified group of courses identified to fulfill a particular requirement or they may be "free" electives which may be selected from any course for which the student has proper prerequisites. Electives provide opportunities for students to pursue personal interests and to gain general knowledge.

Enrollment Appointment
Enrollment appointments determine the timeframe during which students are eligible to enroll. Terms such as summer and winter do not have enrollment appointments as enrollment opens on a certain date to everyone and remains open. Spring and Fall terms however utilize enrollment appointments to determine when students can enroll based on academic level and other criteria such as Honors, Student Athlete, Non-Degree Seeking, or Veteran status, or whether a student is incoming or continuing with the UA. Students and advisors can view enrollment appointments in Student Center/Student Services Center. Once an appointment has passed, the appointment is no longer viewable in Student Center/Student Services Center.
Related Topic:  priority registration

Student Exceptions are the means in UAccess by which to customize a student’s advisement report (advip) to account for waivers, course directives, or requirement changes as uniquely required for an individual’s situation.




The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is the federal law that governs the rights of students and defines institutional responsibilities with respect to student records.  The Office of the Registrar website contains all FERPA policy information along with the Authorization for Release of Information and the Parent Affidavit forms. All academic advisors must complete FERPA training for system access.

First Professional Degree

UA offers three first professional degree programs, as classified under the U.S. Department of Education's Classification of Instructional Programs: (1) J.D., Law; (2) M.D., Medicine; and (3) Pharm. D., Pharmacy.


Math, English, Second language; part of general education requirements.


An undergraduate student newly enrolled at the University of Arizona with fewer than 12 hours of transfer credit at the time of enrollment. Neither Advanced Placement (AP) or College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) credits, nor co-enrollment credits earned during high school are included in determining transfer status or class level. Fall enrollment counts of new freshmen include students newly admitted and enrolled in the previous summer.

Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) Student

A measure of student enrollment based on the number of student credit hours (SCH) for which students enrolled. The following formula is used to arrive at FTE totals: lower division SCH divided by 15 + upper division SCH divided by 12 + graduate SCH divided by 10.

Full-Time Student

Undergraduate students enrolled for 12 or more credit hours are considered full-time students. Graduate and first professional students enrolled for 9 or more credit hours, or enrolled for 6-8 hours along with an assistantship, are considered full-time.



General Education
General Education requirements include: Foundations (Math, English Composition, and Second Language), Tier I, Tier II, and Diversity Emphasis.  Referred to colloquially as ‘gen eds’.
Catalog policy: General Education Policy
University-Wide General Education Committee (UWGEC) website:
Contact: Celeste Pardee, Assistant Director, Curricular Affairs, 621-5375,
General Petition
Undergraduate students may petition the University General Petitions Committee for relief if they believe they deserve redress or exception to university rules, regulations, or policies regarding academic affairs.
Academic policyGeneral Petitions Policy
University General Petitions
Contact:  Mary Ellen Clark,; 626-5896
If you are new to the UA campus, then the most noteworthy thing you should know as an advisor about the grading system is that students who fail a course are given an E.  (The only F grades are for courses offering the Pass/Fail option.) 
Catalog policyGrade Policy
Grade Appeal
If a student is seeking a higher grade in a course than was awarded, and cannot resolve the matter with their instructor, students can follow the grade appeal process.
Catalog policy: Grade Appeal Policy
Grade-Point-Average (GPA) or averaging of grades
The grade-point-average is the arithmetic mean of the grade points earned for all credits taken at the University of Arizona for University Credit or by Special Examination for Grade, where regular grades are awarded. Ordinarily cumulative GPAs are calculated using only the courses at the career level of the student. For example, the undergraduate GPA is based on undergraduate courses only.
Related Policies: Graduate Credit for Seniors, Grade Replacement Opportunity, and Academic Renewal
Grade Replacement Opportunity (GRO)
The Grade Replacement Opportunity allows some undergraduate students to repeat, only once, certain courses for a new grade to replace the previous grade in the calculation of their Grade Point Average.  Prior to the completion of 60 UA units, students may replace the original grade, through GRO, 3 courses or 10 units.  Advisors should consult the GRO report on the Advisor Dashboard in Analytics to determine if a student is eligible for GRO since the unit calculation can be complicated when students approach the 60 UA unit limit.
Catalog PolicyGRO policy
Graduate Degree

Graduate degrees include Masters and Doctoral Degrees in all colleges excluding the three First Professional degree programs in Law, Medicine, and Pharmacy.

Graduation Services
Graduation Services Advisors are responsible for making a final audit of each student's coursework to ensure that all university requirements for the degree program have been met. 
Graduation Service AdvisorsGraduation Services Advisor List
Graduating vs. Walking

A colloquial term referring to the fact that no undergraduate student participating in commencement ceremonies is graduating; they are walking in a ceremony.  Upon receipt of all final grades and certification of degree requirements being met, approximately one month after commencement, students will find their degree posted as complete on their academic record.



Hold Flags

Legacy term for Service Indicators.

Hours of Credit or Semester Hours

Hours of credit, or semester hours, are alternative designations for units of credit.

House Numbered Courses

University-wide “house” numbers identify 3 categories of courses (independent study, thesis or capstone, internship) ending in 98 or 99 using alternatives to the usual teaching formats of lectures, discussions, and laboratories. 



Incomplete Grades

Awarded only when a small portion of the course is incomplete (e.g. hospitalization or significant illness/catastrophic event near the end of the semester).  Automatically turns to an E after one year if work is not complete.  For more information see Incomplete grade policy.

Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
In simple and practical terms, the IGETC is a California version of the AGEC.  A certified IGETC signals the student has fulfilled:
freshman composition, mathematics-General Strand, Tier One and Tier Two—with the exception of the Natural Sciences and the Diversity Emphasis course.  To complete the Natural Sciences, the student’s college/major advisor will need to validate completion of two laboratory science courses at the transfer institution or at the UA.  To satisfy the Diversity Emphasis requirement, the student’s advisor will need to verify completion of a course that focuses on gender, race, class, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or non-western studies.
Catalog policyIGETC Policy
Contact Expert: Celeste Pardee, Curriculum Office: or 621-5375









Late Start

A colloquial term referring to courses held the second 7 weeks of the semester.

Lawful Presence Status

I can’t find this term anywhere in the catalog.  I think this is referring to Prop 300 which I had forgotten that is what papers please is called.  Am I correct about any of this, or do I have a couple of really stupid things twisted together? Do we need this term here at all is my main question.

Leave of Absence (LOA)
The LOA assists and encourages students to return and graduate after a one or two semester absence from campus. Students with this status need not apply for or pay readmission fees, and may register for classes during their priority registration period.  Refer to catalog policy for more important information.



Major (Student Plan)

Students are classified as majors according to their selection of a primary field of study. This field must be selected from ABOR approved degree programs and university approved majors within each degree program.


After admission to the university, a student must be matriculated (i.e. pass the file from admissions to registrar) before he/she will have a student record and be made eligible to enroll through the term activation and enrollment appointment processes.  Matriculation happens approximately 7-10 days before each orientation session for freshman and after completion of the Transfer Student Academic Preview for transfer students.

Maximum Units

The maximum # of units allowed for a fall or spring semester is 19.  Students may request for an exception through their college dean’s office.  The maximum units for pre-session: 3-4 units (1 course), 1st and 2nd summer session:  6-7 units (2 courses).

Minor (Student Plan)

The minor is a secondary field of study requiring fewer units than the major.

Minority, Racial/Ethnic

Includes Black Non-Hispanic, Asian or Pacific Islander, Hispanic, and American Indian or Alaskan Native. Racial ethnic category is self-reported by the student. International students (non-resident aliens) are not classified by racial/ethnic category but are included in the total when calculating percent minority.

Mosaic (legacy term)

Mosaic is the friendly moniker given to the Enterprise Systems Replacement Project (ESRP), a campus-wide endeavor that replaced most of the aged administrative computer systems on the University of Arizona campus between 2008 and 2013. This project encompassed Hobson’s Connect, UAccess Student, UAccess Employee, and UAccess Analytics among others.



Net ID

UA NetID is a secure, efficient way for the University and its computer systems to ensure the identity of an eligible user before allowing access to potentially sensitive information. Your NetID permits secure access to a variety of applications and services at the UA using a single sign-on (one username and one password) system. 

Next Steps
Next Steps is a virtual place where newly admitted students begin the matriculation process.   A list of items (immunization, residency, orientation, residence life, math/second language/English composition placement, and more) are presented to new students for completion.  Next Steps delivers individualized information depending on the student’s major and student groups.  Academic Advisors can request proxy view in Next Steps so they can view individual student records; a very helpful tool when assisting incoming students.
Contact Person: Dolores Machado,, 626-0849
New Student Orientation (NSO)

NSO is one-day, on- campus, orientation program required for all new freshmen.



On-Line Academic Tour (OAT)

OAT is a legacy term for an online exercise new transfer students complete in Next Steps prior to meeting with their academic advisor.  See Transfer Student Academic Preview (TSAP).

Office of Instruction and Assessment (OIA)

OIA offers support to the UA teaching community in course and curriculum design, online course development, program and classroom assessment and evaluation, instructional strategies and learning technologies.  They offer a variety of workshops and seminars of interest to the broad community.

Questions regarding D2L should be directed to OIA.

Office of Institutional Research and Planning Support (OIRPS)

Official site of all institutional data (UA Fact Book, Common Data Set, Student/Employee Data, and more). For more information visit the OIRPS website.

Ombuds Program

The University of Arizona Ombuds Program provides an informal means of problem resolution if you have a University-related concern, conflict, or dispute. An Ombuds is not empowered to change a decision, but through intervention or a clarification of matters, information may emerge to assist in the resolution of the problem. Call the Director of the Ombuds Program at (520) 626-5589 or go to the Ombuds website.  

Option (Sub-Plan)

An option is a sub-specialization within a major that allows a student to place special emphasis on a particular aspect of the major field of study.



At present, the majority of the UA transfer students come from Pima Community College.  It is common for UA students to enroll in one, or more, courses at PCC. 
Related policy: Consortium Agreements.
PCC website
Part-Time Student

Undergraduate students enrolled for 1-11 credit hours are considered part-time students. Graduate and first professional students enrolled for 1-5 hours along with an assistantship, or 1-8 hours without an assistantship, are considered part-time.


See Major.

A tool that builds the schedules for incoming freshmen attending New Student Orientation.  The Pre-Scheduler considers the student’s placements in Foundations (Math, English, Second Language) and suggested first semester schedule for their major and then builds a first semester schedule for each student.
Related Topic:  New Student Orientation
Priority Registration
A prescribed period of time during which continuing students enroll for the next semester’s courses based on their class standing or special standing.   Each student has an enrollment appointment available in UAccess Student Center with each class having one week for exclusive access to registration.  The order is Veterans and Honors, Graduate, Seniors, Juniors and Honors, Sophomores, Freshmen, newly admitted transfer students.   NOTE:  Students enrolled in STU 210, a transfer strategies course offered through Pima Community College, and who are admitted to the UA, are allowed to enroll according to the continuing student schedule just described.
Related Topics: Enrollment Appointment, STU 210 students.
Probation Contract

Legacy term; see Academic Agreements.


In UAccess, Program refers to a College. The College of Fine Arts, College of Education, and the Eller College of Management are examples of Programs in UAccess terminology.

Prop 300
Proposition 300 is a referendum approved by Arizona voters in November 2006. Proposition 300 provides that university students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents, or who do not have lawful immigration status, are not eligible for in-state tuition status or financial aid that is funded or subsidized by state monies.
Related Topic:  Lawful presence, residency.

Oops; fat finger problem?  Go to the following link to request repeat code changes, second degree additions/removals, and program/plan corrections when you’ve made an error. Visit the Registrar's website for more information.



Query Viewer

Query Viewer is a tool that allows the user to run queries (reports) on student or academic data. If you have permission to run queries, you may access the Query Viewer in UAccess at Main Menu > Reporting Tools > Query > Query Viewer.



Reapplication of Degree Candidacy

It it has been more than one year since the original scheduled graduation date, students will need to reapply for degree candidacy.  There is a $50 fee for each reapplication.  Students should contact their Graduation Services Advisor to reactivate their degree application.

Repeat Codes

Repeats Codes provide information regarding repeated such whether it counts in the GPA or earns credit. Repeat Codes can be seen on the advisement report both where a course “counts” and in the Course History at the end of the PDF report.

Requirement Designators

Requirement Designators identify courses as possessing an attribute or being able to fulfill a specific requirement. Most often, these are attached to transfer courses that directly articulate to the University of Arizona so those courses can populate the advising report—usually foundation, and Tier I and II requirements—without the need of an exception. They are also used to identify Honors courses. Requirement Designators display on the advisement report both where a course “counts” and in the Course History at the end of the PDF report.


Although students taking 1-6 hours are classified for tuition purposes as resident or non-resident, they are all counted as "residents" when calculating the percent of enrolled students who are residents (Arizona Board of Regents policy, 1995).   Related policy: lawful presence

Requirement Term/Catalog Year

Information regarding policies for students and choice of catalog can be found here.



Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
A term most often used in reference to students’ eligibility for financial aid based on three standards (qualitative, pace, timeframe) which are monitored each semester by OSFA monitors.  Advisors are increasingly involved in matters involving financial aid and will meet with students who have failed to meet the SAP standards and are filing an appeal to continue receiving aid. 
Contact:  621-1858 or Email

Semester and term are used to identify the formally designated periods during which classes are scheduled. The University schedules classes during six terms: fall and spring semesters, each lasting approximately 15 weeks; a winter inter-session term of approximately three weeks; and three summer session terms, comprised of a three-week pre-session and two five-week terms. The term regular semester refers to fall or spring semester.

Senior Capstone  

A house numbered course (498) which involves some type of synthesizing project or paper.

Service Indicators

Negative and Positive Service Indicators are flags on a student’s account that can either have positive, neutral, or negative effects on the student. Most common negative effects are no transcript, no refunds, or no adds.  Service indicators are commonly referred to as ‘Holds’ even though some do not have any ‘hold’ effect.  Need more on positive and negative and what they look like in UAccess.

Shared Unique Number (SUN) System
The SUN System is a college course numbering system designed to help Arizona students plan their education and ensure successful transfer of course credits. Enrolling in SUN courses is an easy way to plan students’ university transfer and save time and money while pursuing their education.  SUN courses have a unique three-letter prefix and four-digit course number that represents direct course equivalency at all Arizona public community colleges and universities. Each institution retains its original course numbers but uses the SUN to indicate commonality.
More on SUN here
Shopping Cart

A feature in UAccess Student used to aid in class planning and enrollment.  New students sometimes think they are enrolled in courses when in fact the courses are only in the shopping cart. Advise students to use the ‘’check eligibility” feature so they can resolve any issues prior to their enrollment appointment.


An electronic system used by the Office of the Registrar to store scanned copies of official transcripts submitted by students.

Student Groups

Student Groups allows departments or colleges to identify and group specific student segments. Student Groups might indicate advanced standing, participation in a special initiative, or declaration in a particular plan or sub-plan. Some student groups are used to indicate the completion of non-course requirements on the advisement report.

Student Identification Number (SID)

Unique 8-digit code assigned to all students upon application to the UA to individually identify them without using personal identification such as the Social Security number.

STU 210
A transfer strategies course offered by Pima Community College and co-taught by PCC and UA professional staff. Ideally, PCC students enroll in STU 210 the semester prior to their planned transfer to the UA.  STU 210 students meet with their UA advisor, and for the purposes of priority registration, are given the same enrollment appointments and priority registration opportunities as current UA students.  Enrollment in STU 210 also satisfies the transfer student orientation.
Contact Person:  Paul Miller,
Student Headcount Enrollment

The actual number of individual students enrolled at a specified time regardless of whether the students are attending full-time or part-time.

Student Satisfaction Survey

When a note is submitted into Advisor Notes after an individual appointment, the student will be sent a short survey with the following questions:

To maintain the integrity of the survey instrument, responses to the two open-ended questions are delayed to the advisor for a 60 day period since students’ often (inadvertently) self-identify in their responses.  All data are available real time to college advising directors and college associate deans.    Individual advisor survey results are available in UAccess: Academic Advisement > UA Advisor Notes > UA Advisor Survey Review




Term activation is the process that occurs after matriculation by which a student gets a term record; i.e. the term for which a student is admitted and when their catalog is established. A term record is required in order for student to get an enrollment appointment or to be able to enroll in any classes for that term. It is also the foundation for any term statistics.

Term Codes

The 4-digit code comprised of year of the term with 2nd digit removed (e.g. 2013 = 213) followed by a number representing the semester: Spring: 1, Summer:2, Summer:3, Fall:4, Winter:5.  Example: Fall 2012 = 2124

Transfer Evaluation System (TES)

TES is a powerful database system which contains catalog course descriptions for all institutions of higher education in the country.  It is obviously more efficient to search one common database for course descriptions than to hunt around individual college websites and catalogs.  TES has been significantly updated and when TES is fully developed it will make our transfer credit evaluation process for out-of-state credits much more efficient.  See the Transfer Credit Guide here.

Transfer Portfolio

The Transfer Portfolio is a process for eligible transfer students (must have at least 56 transfer credits) to earn a waiver for English 101 and/or 102.  The Transfer Portfolio Examination does not grant credit for the courses, students assume the responsibility to meet with an academic advisor to determine if a waiver fulfills graduation requirements.  Students must attend an information session provided by the Writing Program (621-1836).

Transfer Student

An undergraduate student newly enrolled at the University of Arizona with 12 or more hours of transfer credit at the time of enrollment. Neither Advanced Placement (AP) or College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) credits, nor co-enrollment credits earned during high school are included in determining transfer status or class level. Fall enrollment counts of new transfers include students newly admitted and enrolled in the previous summer.


Students and advisors can generate unofficial transcripts through UAccess.  Official transcripts can be ordered by students at the Office of the Registrar or in their UAccess Student Center. For further information go to the Registrar's website.




UAccess is the student information system which uses the PeopleSoft Campus Solutions product.  Students access their records through the Student Center and advisors see similar information on students in Student Services Center and/or Advisor Center.

Undergraduate Council (UGC)
The Undergraduate Council is a university-wide committee that participates in the shared governance process at the University of Arizona. The Undergraduate Council reviews all undergraduate curricular action items forwarded from its two subcommittees, the Academic Programs Subcommittee and the Curriculum & Policies Subcommittee.  
University Credit (formerly "residence credit")

University credit is the term used to identify all credit offered by The University of Arizona with the exception of correspondence credit and Special Examination for Credit. Only the grades of courses taken for University credit and by Special Examination for Grade are used in calculating the grade-point-average.  18 of the final 30 units of an undergraduate degree program must be university credit.

University Disqualification

An undergraduate student who receives University disqualification is restricted from registering at the University of Arizona and may return to the University only on the basis of evidence that underlying conditions have materially improved and that he or she is now capable of academic success. Students seeking readmission who left the University on academic probation or under disqualification must receive approval from the dean of the college they wish to enter prior to readmission.  UAccess displays the word Dismissed, and the community is gradually shifting to using this term as opposed to disqualified.  At present both terms are used interchangeably. 

University Professional Advising Council (UPAC)
UPAC is a campus-wide advising group which generally meets the second Wednesday of each month from 8:15 – 9:45.  This is a meeting you don’t want to miss, especially if you are new to the UA advising community.  UPAC meetings and special gatherings are about sharing information and meeting colleagues from advising, Student Affairs, and administrative offices across campus.  Advisors are automatically added to the listserv, and all members of the listserv can post advising related messages.
Meeting NotesMeeting Notes
University Academic Advising Council (UAAC)
The UAAC group is comprised of the advising directors from each college.  The Academic Affairs representative from ASUA represents the student voice at UAAC. This group considers all policy and processes that impact undergraduate students and academic advising.  They are often consulted with by administration, faculty, and key administrative units.  UAAC meets bi-monthly with the exception of June and July.
Contact:  Roxie Catts,, 626-7988
University-Wide General Education Committee (UWGEC)
The University-Wide General Education Committee (UWGEC) is charged with the review and approval of all courses that satisfy General Education Requirements, the periodic assessment of the courses, recommendations on policy in relation to General Education, and dissemination of General Education information to the campus community.  UWGEC is comprised of faculty representatives from all colleges offering undergraduate programs and the Foundation programs (English Composition, Mathematics, and Second Language).  
Faculty Chair:  Dr. Tom Fleming (
UWGEC Support and Website Contact:  Becky Perez,; 626-0536







The UA WebAuth service provides a single point of authentication, also known as Single Sign-On (SSO), for UA Web sites that require UA NetID authentication. You will use your UA NetID and password to login to WebAuth which will automatically log you into other UA WebAuth enabled sites. Be particularly careful with this if you have a student login to his/her account on your computer.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

Students who are residents of one of the 15 WICHE states are eligible to requset a reduced WUE tuition rate of 150% of resident tuition outside of their home state.  At the UA, Mining Engineering and all UA South programs are eligible for the WUE rate.  The WUE reduced tuition rate is not automatically awarded to all eligible candidates; students must submit a WUE application to UA South or the Residency Classification Office.  Residents of Alaska, Arizona., California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montanna, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, and the Commonweath of the Northern Mariana Islands are eligible to apply for the WUE rate.


What-If reports allows students and advisors to see how a student’s coursework would apply if the student was in a different plan or sub-plan. Students may generate these in Student Center Self Service. Advisors may generate a What-If report by changing the report type to WHTIF on the Request Advisement Report page and setting up the relevant program, plan, and term information using Career Simulation.










Contact the Advising Resource Center for questions and suggestions about the Advising Glossary and Guide.

Advising Resource Center * * 626-8667